Halliburton employees and families volunteer time and participate in challenges to help support Kid’s Meals program
Kids’ Meals is the only meals on wheels program in the nation that serves preschool aged children. In Houston, Texas, one in four children are unsure of their next meal, a problem called “food insecurity”. Being in a food insecure home means children have limited or unreliable access to enough affordable, nutritious food. Food insecurity has many negative impacts on children, such as:
- Poor performance in school
- Reduced attention in class
- Behavioral issues
- Increased school absences
- Higher risk of obesity
- Higher risk of suicidal or depressive tendencies
The pandemic has increased the number of children in the Kids’ Meals program by 135% – that’s over 3,600 additional kids who need nutritious meals every day! Halliburton and Kids’ Meals have had a relationship for more than 10 years. Our employees are always ready to answer the call to support the hungry children of the greater Houston area. Over the years, teams have organized group volunteering sessions, donated lunches, received company matching on financial contributions, and participated in various challenges organized by Kids’ Meals. This summer, Kids’ Meals hosted their annual “Juice Box Challenge” – a corporate drive for juice box donations to put in each of the 7,000+ lunches they deliver each weekday. Halliburton employees stepped up by purchasing nearly 20,000 juice boxes!
If you are interested in supporting Kids’ Meals, there are many ways to get involved:
- Volunteer – volunteers are needed to make lunches, work in the warehouse, drive delivery routes and more. Volunteer shifts are Monday through Friday and one Saturday per month.
- Decorate brown paper lunch sacks and donate them to Kids’ Meals, so the kids have a happy surprise when they get their lunch. This is an easy way to get all ages involved!
- DIY Lunch Drive – You can pack a shelf stable lunch with 4 healthy items including (1) healthy snack, (1) fruit item, (1) sandwich equivalent and (1) small juice or water. Please see the flyer on their website for DIY packing tips.
- Make a financial contribution – a $2 donation can provide one hungry child a healthy lunch.
Halliburton is proud to support Kid’s Meals and help end childhood hunger!